Amsler Grid Video
Printable Version (PDF)
In today’s ever-changing health care environment, the best defense against disease is self-detection and monitoring. Many disease states such as diabetes and age-related macular degeneration can have long-term effects on your eyesight. Early detection of deteriorating vision is key to preventing permanent vision damage. Your doctor may give you an Amsler grid to routinely check the acuity (clearness) and range of your vision.
Here is how to use the graph above:
• Make sure you are wearing your glasses or contact lenses when performing the test.
• Prop or hang the grid flat against a wall or some other vertical structure
• Sit 12 to 14 inches away from the grid
• Cover one of your eyes (right eye)
• Focus directly at the center dot for a few seconds
• While continuing to focus at the center, make a mental note of how the other lines look. If the lines and squares are blurred, distorted or missing in any way, call your ophthalmologist immediately
• Repeat the test for the other eye (left eye)
Note: This test can be used sitting in front of your computer. The grid can be found on the Macular Degeneration Partnership website ( www.macd.net) or you can contact them for a free magnetic grid by registering as a partner. You can contact them at:
Macular Degeneration Partnership
8733 Beverly Blvd., #201
Los Angeles, CA 90048